Yes, pigeons can kind of read. Stop the world, in a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Scientist taught pigeons to memorize certain words and spent several months training them.
They learned between 26 and 58 words. At the end, they could even identify if a word was misspelled. So yeah, pigeons are way smarter than you thought even though most people don’t think of birds as particularly smart animals, they better watch out cause pigeons will run the world.
1. You better watch out lady, or they’ll spy your notes.
2. Just look at them, probably making plans about stealing the nuclear code or something.
3. If I were that seagull, I’d better watch out.
4. Am I the only one worried here? They are now smart, and we’re outnumbered. They could win a war, or something.
5. Mind what you read in the park, because pigeons could be reading it too.
6. Although the birds don’t understand the meanings at least yet, they do distinguish real words.
7. So maybe we should let pigeons in on Spelling bees.
8. Watch out we’ve got a badass on top of that sign, which they KNOW how to read FOR A FACT!
9. This is how they are teaching them complete dominance of the world. Just kidding, they learn to read just like every kid.
10. Apart from reading, they can recognize themselves in the mirror; they’re one of only six species that can do that.
11. So all this time pigeons probably read all the mail that you sent with a carrier pigeon.
12. They are actually considered the SMARTEST birds on the planet. Not only do they kind of read but they are actually very good on relationships so you can see now how pigeons are way better than you.
13. They knew from the beginning they were better than us, as you can see with this Jesus pigeon.
14. So pigeons are smart, they can read, and do tons of stuff too. Like pooping on people.
15. So if you think about it when you were at the park, just chilling and reading 50 Shades of Grey thinking you were safe from being judged, pigeons knew what was all about.
16. And if you thought you could just get away with it, remember pigeons can actually recognize faces, how freaking awesome is that?
17. You probably feel bad now for taking them for granted and calling them “rats with wings,” we know.