According to the UN, 158.8 million people around the world use marijuana; that’s more than 3.8% of the planet’s population. Even though some countries like the US have jumped on board with the use of medicinal marijuana, there are A LOT of countries who still satanize it.
Each day there’s new data that indicates the positive uses of weed and supports the recreational use of marihuana. We’ve brought you 21 facts about it so you can make up your own judgment.
1. Even though weed consumers eat about 600 more calories per day, they also have lower BMIs. Why? Because weed makes your metabolism faster.
2. Weed consumers rate 1/3 lower in obesity because it helps regulate blood sugar.
3. And busting a myth, did you know it takes 800 joints to kill you? You’d die of carbon monoxide poisoning.
4. According to a report by ACLU, black people are 3.3 times more likely to get arrested for weed, even though whites and blacks consume marijuana at about the same rates.
5. The cannabis plant is believed to be one of the oldest crops cultivated by humans. Records of its use date back over 6000 years.
6. About seven-in-ten (69%) Americans believealcohol is more harmful to a person’s health than marijuana.
7. Medical marijuana can be smoked, vaporized, eaten or taken as a liquid. It’s commonly prescribed for pain.
8. Hydroponics have change the Cannabis industry forever; weed is 57-67% more potent than the one found
is 57-67% more potent than the one found in the ’70s.
9. Only 9% of marijuana users become addicted, 15% of alcohol users fall into addiction, and 32% of tobacco smokers become addicted.
10. Pet owners are already using marijuana medicinally to help their suffering cats and dogs, according to the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. But it can be deadly when used in large amounts.
11. A study completed at Carleton University found that moderate marijuana consumers had higher IQs than non-smokers.
12. The amount of time weed stays in your system mostly depends on your metabolism, if you are a regular user, it can be up to 27 days, if you an occasional smoker it can be only ten days.
13. Smoking up could be a very different experience for men and women, according to a 2014 study in the journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence. In the experiment, female rats were more sensitive to the effects of cannabis, and they were also more likely to develop a tolerance for the drug.
14. The Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) seized over 163,638 lbs (74,225 kgs) of domestic marijuana in 2014.
15. Arcview Market Research found that the recreational cannabis market grew 74% in 2014. That’s the fastest growing US industry.
16. THC and CBD may be most popular cannabinoids, but they’re not the only beneficial compounds found in the plant. Other cannabinoids like CBN and CBG are known to have medicinal effects. And those are only four of the 111 that exists.
17. The majority of cannabis users are between 18 and 35, but people over 50 are gaining momentum, there’s a total of 9.6% who smoke pot.
18. Cannabis slows you down, so when you smoke, you’re less likely to become aggressive when met with threatening stimuli. Couples that smoke together are less likely to become involved in domestic violence.
19. Also, According to research from the University of Buffalo, couples that smoke together is happier and fight less.
20. The rate of pot use is higher among offenders than nonoffenders, but that definitely does not mean that pot causes criminal behavior. Pot, unlike alcohol, doesn’t generally unleash aggression, so it’s much harder to link it to violent crime.
21. A 2006 UCLA study concluded that even heavy marijuana use does not lead to lung cancer. Other studies suggest that pot can actually inhibit the growth of cancerous tumors.