Obesity, diabetes, and hypertension affect a majority of the population worldwide. These medical conditions can occur collectively in a person and are likely to be linked to each other. Obesity is a risk factor that triggers diabetes mellitus and hypertension, resulting in cardiovascular anomalies. Diet plays an essential role in preventing malnutrition and minimizes the occurrence of various diseases, including the ones mentioned above. Hang on with us as we discuss the way the ketogenic diet works, and tell you the ways by which it helps you to lose weight.
What is Keto Diet?
A ketogenic diet can be understood as a meal plan that contains low amounts of carbohydrates and is high in fat content to help you lose body fat. When curating a keto diet plan, the total amount of carbohydrates is kept at 5-10% of the total caloric intake. People on a keto diet go into a condition of ketosis in which the metabolic system stops utilizing carbohydrates. Instead, the body starts using fats as a primary source of energy. There are a plethora of studies that show the effectiveness of keto in losing weight and preventing various diseases. However, long-term research still needs to be carried out to prove the benefits.
How Does The Keto Diet Work?
1. Controls Appetite
A ketogenic meal plan can reduce hunger despite weight loss. When the body goes into ketosis, the body’s insulin levels decrease and the body signals to the brain to maintain satiety and feel less hungry. Ghrelin is a hunger-promoting hormone that is reduced in people on the keto diet. These reduced levels influence the person to eat fewer calories, leading to weight loss. Still, the long-term effects of low ghrelin levels need to be reviewed and studied to establish its effectiveness in helping the body lose weight.
2. Caloric Deficit
Virtually every type of diet plan aims to push the body to a caloric deficit. Having control of caloric intake can be controlled by following a keto diet plan. Simply put, weight loss is only achieved when the caloric intake is less than the number of calories burned by the body. So, limiting the number of calories is necessary. Moreover, the keto consumers at www.forketolife.com explain that understanding the ketogenic diet helps achieve results. A reliable source will always provide you with relevant resources on keto diets. Doing research always helps, so make sure you know everything about ketogenic meal plans before you start following one. If you are still confused about what to eat, consult a nearby nutritionist for a plan curated according to your body requirements.
3. Water Weight Loss
The carbohydrates we consume can hold on to water molecules, ultimately increasing the body’s water weight. When on a ketogenic diet, the body’s carbohydrate levels decrease drastically. One gram of carbohydrate stored in the body can easily retain up to three grams of water. This decrease in carbohydrate levels leads to less water binding. However, how effectively you lose water weight depends on the level of metabolic activity, water intake, and the number of carbohydrates consumed.
To keep the body in ketosis, there are a plethora of keto supplements that can be used in conjunction with a keto diet plan to promote weight loss. Here are the types of supplements alongside their supposed functions that you can find out there in the market.
- Ketone Supplements: Ketones are normally produced within the body and can be increased when following a keto diet. However, some people are unable to go into a state of ketosis despite following the plan. Ketone supplements are used to provide ketones from outside the body so that ketosis can be achieved as quickly as possible.
- Protein Powders: This type of keto supplement claims to fulfill the body’s protein requirement and contains very low amounts of carbohydrates.
- MCT Oil: This oil contains a type of fatty acid that adds more to the fat taken through a keto diet. The medium-chain triglyceride present in the oil helps keep the body in ketosis but can affect the digestive system in long-term use.
- Electrolytes: During a keto plan, electrolyte imbalance and depletion occur. These supplements provide a steady supply of electrolytes like sodium, potassium, and magnesium which are essential in carrying out metabolic activities.
- Enzymes: Some people might encounter frequent issues when digesting fats. This happens when the body already produces a limited amount of fat-digesting enzymes and cannot comprehend with the regular fat intake. To ease up the digestion process, digestive enzymes help degrade the fats consumed through meals effectively.
It is important to understand that these supplements still need to be tested for their effectiveness over short and long periods. Moreover, always consult your doctor in case you have an underlying disease because following a strict diet plan can have deteriorating health effects. There are a number of ways in which the keto diet helps people lose weight. Still, it is always best to consider the possible side effects, its downside, and the much-needed research that could prove its effectiveness in the long run.